Sunday, November 25, 2012

Texturing

Texturing was done neither in ZBrush by actually hand painting color and texture onto the models in real-time. I painted these onto the high poly versions of the meshes, so in order to get a color map from the painting I have done, I had to bake out the texture. I've also baked out normal maps and ambient occlusion maps so I can combine these and apply them to the low-poly versions of the models'.









Texturing high poly vs low poly was a bit different. High poly had all the detail modeled into it, so the textures needed only to contain color information and ambient occlusion. But, because of the low polys limited polygon count, some details had to be created through texture information. This is very common in games, when you see certain bumps and extrusions from afar and they actually look like they are physically modeled into the object. Whereas, if you go close to that object, you can notice from an angle that it is actually a flat surface with painted on illusions of surface detail.
I wanted to practice this, hence I`ve created all of the garment models (flags and Kael'thas robe) in low poly and painted the wrinkles and folds into the texture. There are numerous ways of doing this. I`ve chosen the burn and dodge tool found within Photoshop to darken and lighten up the necessary areas to create the illusion of folds. They actually worked :) .

Without Ambient Occlusion Pass
With Ambient Occluson.
With post-work: color correction, applying glow, vignette etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment